On Thu, Jul 30, 2015 at 06:23:03PM +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> Hello, Gentoo.
>
> Over the course of the last 24 hours, Firefox 38.1.0 became stable in
> portage, so I merged it in.
>
> What a mistake!
>
> All my existing configuration (including for NoScript+), all my
> bookmarks, all record of previous visits to site - gone, deleted,
> vanished.  I'm not happy about that.

That's a feature ;). Occasional forced cleaning. This happened when I
upgraded (I'm on unstable), but I don't have bookmarks nor saved
passwords, and my custom config takes ~10 seconds to set up clicking
through the menu, so I didn't really care.

Backups are good. Putting all of the config and bookmarks in version
control would be even better, except Firefox uses a pretty awesome
combination of sqlite, JSON, JavaScript, and text for storing
configuration and bookmarks, so of course that would be a nightmare.

> The usability of the program has gone down, down, down.  Not a lot seems
> to work properly, anymore.  For example, it used to be that you could
> mark a selection of "your" cookies then delete them in one operation.
> Now you have to mark a single cookie and delete it, mark the next cookie
> and delete it, ....  Even the screen area where the current URL is
> displayed is now displayed in low-contrast miniscule type, so that I can
> barely read it.

More "features".

> What on earth are the upstream developers thinking about?  Destroying
> somebody's configuration is not a nice thing to do.
>
> I've a feeling that all this must have been discussed here quite
> recently, so apologies if I'm dredging up old stuff.  Still, a
> recommendation as to how I might proceed would be welcome.  Should I go
> back to 31.8.0 and stay there, or would I be better going with some fork
> of firefox?

The only related thing I can find is a bug where starting the Profile
Manager deletes all the profiles, or something close to that.

Alec