Am Thu, 30 Jul 2015 18:23:03 +0000
schrieb Alan Mackenzie <a...@muc.de>:

> Hello, Gentoo.

Hello,

> Over the course of the last 24 hours, Firefox 38.1.0 became stable in
> portage, so I merged it in.
>
> What a mistake!
>
> All my existing configuration (including for NoScript+), all my
> bookmarks, all record of previous visits to site - gone, deleted,
> vanished.  I'm not happy about that.

I'm sorry.  All I can say is that I have never had anything like that happen
to me, and I've been using the ~amd64 versions for a while now (so I'm on 39.0
at the moment).

> The usability of the program has gone down, down, down.  Not a lot seems
> to work properly, anymore.  For example, it used to be that you could
> mark a selection of "your" cookies then delete them in one operation.
> Now you have to mark a single cookie and delete it, mark the next cookie
> and delete it, ....

Why do you delete cookies manually in the first place?  Do none of the many
cookie manager addons available for Firefox suite your needs?  I use
"Self-Destructing Cookies" myself, which by default deletes a website's cookies
as soon as the tab is closed (the other two options are "when Firefox closes"
and "never"). (For so-called "Super-Cookies" there's also "BetterPrivacy".)

> Even the screen area where the current URL is
> displayed is now displayed in low-contrast miniscule type, so that I can
> barely read it.

Does the font configuration not suffice?  I see a "minimum font size" setting
there.  Maybe it won't throw everything else out of whack.

> What on earth are the upstream developers thinking about?  Destroying
> somebody's configuration is not a nice thing to do.

I would assume that it is a bug and thus not intentional.

> I've a feeling that all this must have been discussed here quite
> recently, so apologies if I'm dredging up old stuff.  Still, a
> recommendation as to how I might proceed would be welcome.  Should I go
> back to 31.8.0 and stay there, or would I be better going with some fork
> of firefox?

As always, use whatever suits you.  Personally, I'm sticking with Firefox for a
variety of reasons, one of them being that Mozilla is one of the few web
technology organisations that actually seems to care about user privacy.
*Without* resorting to sticking with -- let alone reverting to -- stone age
technologies.

> Has my old config/cookies/... actually been physically destroyed, or is
> it just being disregarded by 38.1.0?  Looking at my ~/.mozilla/firefox
> doesn't give me much hope.

If you don't have backups, I'm sorry.  Data loss is never fun.

> Yours, in anger.

HTH
--
Marc Joliet