On Thu, 06 Aug 2015 03:59:44 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:

> 1-Distrowatch is what lead me to believe I could do something I wished
> to do.

Is it DistroWatch that led you to believe that what you wanted wasn't
the default to start with?

> e.g. https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:X86/Installation/Base
> discusses use of mirrorselect, before it directs to start chroot. In
> the context of a non-Gentoo boot (as offered in the alternative boot
> instructions) to get to stage 4, how exactly is mirrorselect to be
> found?

Mirrorselect is optional, just pick a mrror based on geographical
location.

> Re progress: I'm at the point of running emerge --ask
> sys-kernel/gentoo-sources, but it quits if I say no, and fails emerging
> sys-devel/bc-1.06.95-r1 (emake AR="$(tc-getAR)") if I say yes. :-(
>
> http://fm.no-ip.com/Tmp/Linux/G/config.txt

Which clearly says ccache not found. That implies you have added ccache
to FEATURES but not installed the ccache package. I know, I did the same
thing last week.

--
Neil Bothwick

I wonder how much deeper would the ocean be without sponges.