I've started a new thread rather than hijacking the other one. I've made
several attempts at installing a btrfs system on what may be a too-old
machine, and Grant Edwards and I asked Rich for help.

On Wednesday 05 August 2015 13:55:09 Rich Freeman wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 5, 2015 at 11:26 AM, Peter Humphrey <pe...@prh.myzen.co.uk>
wrote:
> > On Wednesday 05 August 2015 10:43:28 Rich Freeman wrote:
> >> Just to humor you I'll include an OpenRC version of my raid1 btrfs
> >> install walkthrough.  :)  It has been a while since I've done one of
> >> those...
> >
> > Me too please, Rich. I still haven't got this six-year-old MBR box to boot
> > raid1 btrfs.
>
> FWIW, my notes are at:
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VJlJyYLTZScta9a81xgKOIBjYsG3_VfxxmUSxG23
> Uxg/edit?usp=sharing

Impressive, Rich - thanks. You've given me several things to think about
already.

First, btrfs balance. I had no idea that was needed, so of course I didn't
include it in my attempts. Could that be why, on booting, the kernel couldn't
mount the file system?

Second, --xattrs on the tarball extraction. I haven't seen this recommended
before, and I wonder what extra attributes are needed for btrfs.

Third, why do you do your kernel compiling in /var/tmp/linux? It seems like
extra work and I can't see a reason for it.

Finally, can I assume that your procedure would work just as well installing
into, say, /dev/sd[ab]4?

--
Rgds
Peter