On Friday 07 August 2015 10:48:02 Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Fri, 07 Aug 2015 09:49:24 +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote:
> > > Yep, but as stated by Rich there isn't much to a btrfs raid 1 install
> > > aside from mkfs.btrfs, building btrfs support into the
> > > kernel, the slightly different fstab entry, and using an initramfs
> > > (dracut makes it easy).
> >
> > The arrangement I have in mind is sd[ab]1 raid-1 /boot, sd[ab]2 swap,
> > sd[ab]3 rescue system, sd[ab]4 btrfs gentoo. Maybe I could get away
> > without swap since this box has 16GB RAM, but I'm not ready to do
> > without my rescue system.
>
> that's pretty much what I have on my desktop except it has three drives
> in the RAID and no rescue system (I have a System Rescue Cd ISO
> in /boot). AFAIR it just worked first time.

Yes, I remember about your rescue ISO. I may do the same once I work out how
to incorporate my own customisations into it. Maybe that should be the first
thing to do. I have a USB stick like that, but it refuses to boot any more.

(The reason I'm taking so long to build the VM is that VirtualBox won't
install the guest additions ISO, so I have no paste or selection buffer and no
folder sharing, so I have to do everything the long way.)

--
Rgds
Peter