I don't get why any distro leaves this out, why anyone wouldn't like to
automatically notice while booting any announcement that something failed,
especially someone who has just gotten a new installation up for the first
times. Why isn't --noclear set by default?

Once I set this and rebooted I saw several things that needed fixing that I
didn't have a clue about:

1-error loading /etc/.../hostname (I had copied it from openSUSE installation
instead of following installation instruction, and without reading or saving
the existing one)

2-depending on hostname working, syslog-ng fails to start

3-missing mount points

As a consequence of my ineptitude (and prior to reading
http://www.gentoo-wiki.info/FQDN) I did emerge -s hostname, found a package
by that name, and chose to emerge it. 30 minutes later, it and 3 dep packages
were still compiling, lots lots longer than a kernel compile. :-(

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/