On 08/08/2015 14:26, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Sat, 08 Aug 2015 02:57:29 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:
>
>> I don't get why any distro leaves this out, why anyone wouldn't like to
>> automatically notice while booting any announcement that something
>> failed, especially someone who has just gotten a new installation up
>> for the first times. Why isn't --noclear set by default?
>
> It doesn't matter, it's just a default. This is Gentoo, it works how you
> tell it to work. That particular setting is even mentioned n the elog
> output.

I think Felix still has quite a bit of the SuSE/RHEL/Fedora/Ubuntu mindset.

Those distros do a lot of hand-holding, a lot of trying to figure out
what you mean, and take pride in delivering a full complete consistent
experience (whatever that is).

Gentoo has no truck with such things. The software is what it is, and if
the user doesn't like what is provided, the user must change it because
the dev ain't gonna. Just like Slackware come to think of it.

The Gentoo approach is that the user already knows what he/she wants and
knows how to get it. This is a perfectly valid approach - Gentoo users
rapidly move from n00b status to a different status of having a good
idea what they want. So the vast majority of Gentoo usage is done with
that knowledge in place, and very little usage is done in a state of "I
don't yet know what I'm doing".

This is what amuses me so much about efforts to make Gentoo "more
user-friendly" - whatever that is. Our devs cater to the overwhelming
majority case, and helpful guides on how to get there are at a minimum.

I like this approach for the same reason I prefer Linux over Windows.
Gentoo assumes I have a brain and can use it, and do not need to be
treated like a clueless n00b form now till the end of time. I find that
very validative and empowering, even though the prove I had to pay was 6
weeks of being mostly confused while getting up to speed. And that was
10 years ago.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com