On 18/08/15 02:58, »Q« wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Aug 2015 20:46:44 +0200
> Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Er, no. You don't. You really, really REALLY don't want to go Stage
>> 1 :-)
>>
>> My second install was a stage 1, way back in the day when the stage 3s
>> weren't fully usable out of the box yet. My first was a stage 2 (fully
>> documented back then) and for the second one I decided to be brave.
>>
>> I did learn something, but it really wasn't worth the effort.
>
> For my second or third install I also used a stage 2, and I completely
> agree with you.

sort of ... conditions were different

"in the beginning" a stage 1 was all there was.  We used to sneer at
those too soft to do it hard core :)

When viable stage 3's became available, the handbook gradually moved to
recommending a stage 3 then mandating it.

In about 2000/2001 when I first started with gentoo (on a 486, moved
from Redhat 4.0 from memory, took a whole week to download the sources
via dialup, and 2 days to build the basic stage 3).  The problem was
that the build process was full of holes - there is a reason modern
portage/emerge is as complicated as it is.  A full stage one was
consistent.  After a few months of use inconsistencies would creep in
and an emerge world -e became necessary to restore smooth functioning.

Have not had to do that for a couple of years now ... don't miss it :)

BillK