On 21/08/2015 17:05, Alan Grimes wrote:
> What in god's name are these "semantic desktops"  good for any way? The
> only thing nepomunk ever did was consume CPU resources, I think I
> intentionally broke the e-build on that one to prevent it from
> installing such a useful, resource hungry, piece of crap. =( Who do you
> think I am? A windows user???

Well, let's see. It's not like Nepomuk and the concept of a semantic
desktop wasn't a university research project sponsored by the European
Union, and the researchers chose KDE to implement it on (presumably
because OSS is an excellent fit for exactly that kind of thing). It's
not like there aren't many web pages out there that fully describe the
origins of Nepomuk and what the purpose of the research was, and that
Google can't find all of those issues for you in mere seconds.

Nope, it wasn't like that at all.....

The purpose and goal of Nepomuk is not in doubt, not even slightly. The
first implementation though, turns out to have been less than ideal,
particularly the backing store. So Nepomuk was eventually considered a
flawed prototype that demonstrated what not to do (this is the *real*
purpose of prototypes - ask any successful engineer), and Baloo written
instead. The intent is to get the benefits of a semantic desktop without
having to use all available resources to do it.

Not everything in this world warrants a clueless rant you know.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com