On Sun, Aug 30, 2015 at 5:41 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 30/08/2015 06:04, Philip Webb wrote:
>> How long do desktop users typically leave their systems between reboots ?
>> How long between power off/on's ?
>>

> Mine depends. I typically do a deliberate reboot only when wanting a new
> kernel running. Sometimes it's a few days, often up to a month or more.

++

Typically I reboot every week or two.  I try to keep up with stable
kernel releases on the latest longterm branch (currently 3.18.20).
I'm currently at 19 days, which is a bit on the high side for me, but
it seems like 3.18 hasn't had as many updates as some of the other
stable series.

If you keep a closer eye on security issues and care to track which
kernel fixes you do or don't accept, or want to mess with kernel live
patching, then you could go longer.  I also like to reboot at some
frequency just so that if for whatever reason it doesn't reboot I only
have a few week's worth of system updates to look at to figure out
what changed.  I have Gentoo hosts that I don't stay on top of as
often and when 5 things break at once I'm playing guessing games
(those hosts are all easy to snapshot).

--
Rich