On 08/30/2015 06:24 AM, Michel Catudal wrote:

> As for shutdowns there are several arguments for and against. What often
> kills electronic is the shock between hot and cold so there is an
> argument about keeping the system on.
> Whether it is always safe to keep the computer on all the time remains
> to be proven.

Recently I've had to help someone migrate off of a failed computer. This
computer was old (I had to find an IDE adapter to recover some files)
from late 90s/early 00s.

Some time ago I told him to have it running all the time, mostly because
of age. So he kept it running nonstop and literally a week or two ago
shut it down as he was getting new flooring installed. He called me
after hooking it back up again as it wouldn't start. I went over to
check and the motherboard finally failed. He hadn't powered it off in
4-5 years.

For myself I use a smart power bar and suspend my PC when not in use.
This caused me all sorts of grief with systemd hanging on shutdown after
a suspend, ultimately causing my RAID array to be rebuilt on every
reboot/shutdown and so I've finally abandoned it and am running openrc
again.

The only thing about using suspend is that if the PC is in a sleep state
it won't wake up and shut down when the power goes out. This just
happened to me yesterday (big wind storm here.)

Dan