On 20/09/2015 00:17, Rich Freeman wrote:
> Also, emerge running --changed-deps=y from time to time may make those
> kinds of problems less likely.  The first time you do it prepare to
> see a LOT of stuff get rebuilt - any of those packages could cause
> issues in the future but most probably will not.

And you might be unlucky like I was to find that all KDE packages
suddenly had this weird dep on qt*[-phonon], and emerge would barf out
on the first one found. So I rebuilt that package and it barfed on the
next one. When I did this 20 times, I figured portage would do it for
all KDE packages - 300+

Not a chance I was going to do that. Instead:

emerge -e world

and wait 14 hours.

>> > You fail to understand how gentoo works. At no time did Gentoo ever
>> > guarantee that updates would work like binary distros and the process
>> > would be trouble free. Quite the opposite - Gentoo is upfront in telling
>> > you that there will always be update issues and you are the person to
>> > solve them.
>> >
> While Gentoo doesn't do as much handholding as many distros, the
> portage output above should not be viewed as something we are proud
> of.

It's either due to it being a really hard problem or the portage team is
short of manpower. Either way, I'm content not to bitch about it mainly
as the tree is a unique thing in the Linux world

I personally think it's a hard problem. Portage only knows what it has
in it's internal data structures when it decides it can't continue. It
can't provide the user with a meaningful answer as is so often asked for
here so what is it supposed to do? It's not a human.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com