Dale wrote:
Howdy,

I recently did a upgrade which included glibc. Now both Firefox and Seamonkey has problems starting. I have several profiles and some work and some don't. Using safe-mode works which makes me think the browsers themselves are OK but something else got messed up. The only package I see that I just updated is glibc that might could cause this issue. This is the recent emerge list from emerge.log:

<<<< SNIP >>>>

I see a couple python packages but not sure that they would affect anything. Is anyone else having this issue? Anyone have a clue what could cause it?

Right now, I'm testing to see if it is a add-on that is causing it. I'm cutting them on one at a time but since sometimes it works and sometimes it don't, makes it hard to know if it is even a add-on or not much less which one.

I thought about going back to the old version of glibc but we know that is not a good idea. That one is sort of a one way street. If no one has any ideas, I may try a emerge -e world and see if that helps any.

Thanks much.

Dale

:-)  :-)

OK. My emerge -e world finished, with a couple that failed such as libreoffice, kscreen and such, but the problem remains. Since no one else is having this problem, based on no one posting about it, then I have to assume it is a add-on I use. Also, safe-mode works too. Odd thing is, when I start it on the command line to see if it reports any errors, I get the same output whether it works or not. This is what I get either way.

dale@fireball / $ seamonkey -p -new-instance

(process:11385): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion 'sys_page_size == 0' failed

(process:11385): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion 'sys_page_size == 0' failed
dale@fireball / $

No clue what that Glib error is about but either way, it works even when it spits out that error. So, now to play with these add-ons and see which one is the offender. One of them is about to be on my bad list. So far, adblock works. Whew!!!

Dale

:-)  :-)