>> > I'm sorry, I meant can I lock down access to my web stuff so that a
>> > particular user can only come from a particular device (or from any
>> > device containing a key).
>>
> You can use apache client authentication with SSL certificates only.  Of
> course you will need to create a self-signed CA, which you will use to create
> the web server public/private key pair and also sign each client's certificate
> and upload it along with your CA certificate to the user's browser.  This
> explains the principle:
>
> http://wiki.cacert.org/HELP/9
>

> Ditto with the VPN connection - should you still want to use VPN.

Let me see if I'm following.  I could create a certificate and point
the browser to it in config and configure my web server to require the
certificate for HTTP basic authentication?  Can I require a
username/password along with the certificate?  Can I require the
certificate only for certain users?

> If a user certificate is lost of feared compromised, you revoke it with your
> CA and upload the CRL to the server.
>
> However, this won't do away with XSS, or other similar attack vectors if the
> users are not careful with their browsing habits.

Can you give me an example?

> This won't resolve problems with lost laptops and the like either, so previous
> suggestions for disk encryption, or chromebooks apply, if this is a
> considerable risk with your users.

No sensitive data on the client systems.  They're actually auto-wiped daily.

- Grant