Zaam Wu <zaa...@zoho.com> wrote:

> I am not sure whether this is the right group to post this
> message. But the issue does happen after a Gentoo @world update.
>
> After login into console, 'startx' will launch Xfce4
> desktop. Everything works like a charm.
>
> A few days ago:
>
>     1) @world update;
>
>     2) reinstall Emacs (USE="gtkgtk3") to USE="athena Xaw3d -gtk
>     -gtk3".
>
> If I logout or shutdown through Xfce4 panel "Shutdown" or "Log
> Out", xfce "Shutdown" or "Lot Out" will be delayed for almost 2
> minutes. During this period, Xfce4 desktop stands still and do
> nothing.
>
> When I click 'Shutdown" or "Log Out" again, an error message pops
> up:
>
>     Failed to run action "Shut Down"
>     Session manager must be in idle state when requesting a
>     shutdown
>
> Interestingly, this issue usually is accompanied with Emacs daemon
> editing. If I does not lanuch Emacs daemon to edit file (no daemon
> process in the whole login session), Xfce4 shutdown or logout
> normally without delay.
>
> Googled around and a few posts suggest 'rm
> ~/.cache/session/xfce4*'. But still does NOT solve
> my problem.

I had the same problem for at least half a year. My "solution" was
to kill the X session when I did wanna logout. I don't use a Display
Manager, so I switched to the console from where I started the X
session (Ctrl+Shift+F1) and pressed Ctrl+C.

After I read your mail I did a test and logged out via the XFCE
logout panel (didn't tried this for about 2 or 3 months). It was a
really big surprise to me that it works without any delay.

I should mention that I never used or installed Emacs. Nevertheless
I had a delay of about 1 minute before logout finished. During this
time one of the CPU cores had some load and memory usage increases.
I could watch this in the gkrellm monitors when composite was enabled.
When composite was disabled then the X display was frozen during the
delay.

I'm sorry that I can't help you. I still don't know what caused the
problem, but now it's gone. Maybe some update fixed it, but dunno.

I'm using gentoo stable with these exceptions:

xfce-extra/xfce4-composite-editor ~amd64
xfce-base/xfwm4 ~amd64
xfce-base/xfce4-panel ~amd64
xfce-base/xfce4-settings ~amd64
xfce-base/xfce4-session ~amd64