<waben...@gmail.com> writes:

> Manager, so I switched to the console from where I started the X
> session (Ctrl+Shift+F1) and pressed Ctrl+C.
Yeah, that's at least a 'feasible' way.

> I should mention that I never used or installed Emacs. Nevertheless
> I had a delay of about 1 minute before logout finished. During this
> time one of the CPU cores had some load and memory usage increases.
> I could watch this in the gkrellm monitors when composite was enabled.
> When composite was disabled then the X display was frozen during the
> delay.
I am not sure if Emacs causes the xfce4 session too buby to
logout/shutdown. But it might imply some X apps prevents xfce4
shutdown instantly.
> I'm sorry that I can't help you. I still don't know what caused the
> problem, but now it's gone. Maybe some update fixed it, but dunno.
>
> I'm using gentoo stable with these exceptions:
>
> xfce-extra/xfce4-composite-editor ~amd64
Not installed on my system.
> xfce-base/xfwm4 ~amd64
> xfce-base/xfce4-panel ~amd64
> xfce-base/xfce4-settings ~amd64
> xfce-base/xfce4-session ~amd64
> xfce-base/xfdesktop ~amd64
> xfce-base/xfce4-appfinder ~amd64
> xfce-base/libxfce4util ~amd64
> xfce-base/libxfce4ui ~amd64
> xfce-base/xfconf ~amd64
> xfce-base/garcon ~amd64
> xfce-base/thunar ~amd64
For all those pkgs under 'xfce-base/*', my system uses stable
version 'amd64'.

Maybe your newer version solved that 'delay' issue.

--
你好!
Hello, world!