Deleting and recreating new, different partitions isn't enough, as the raw data is still there.  I would use /dev/urandom combined /bin/dd.  Never done this before, but *should* work.  Boot from the gentoo livecd (or some other livecd that provides a full working linux environment), type dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/hda conv=notrunc .  Run that about 10 times (you do want it securely erased right?) or however many times you feel is necessary.  Use dlcfdd instead of dd if you can, as with an extra CLI option (sizeprobe=of) you can get a progress bar.