I have bought an external 5TB Western Digital hard drive
that I am going to use mainly for backing up some files
in my home directory and carrying a very big files, for
example a virtual machine image file, from one computer
to another. This hard drive is preformatted with NTFS.
Now, I am going to format it with ext4 which probably
will take a lot of time taking into account that it is
going to be done via USB connection. So, before formatting
this hard drive I would like to know if it is still
advisable to partition big hard drives into smaller
logical ones.

For about 20 last years, following an advice of my older
colleague, I always partitioned all my hard drives into
the smaller logical ones and do very well know all
disadvantages of doing so. :)

But what are disadvantages of not partitioning a big
hard drive into smaller logical ones?

Is it still advisable to partition a big hard drive
into smaller logical ones and why?