>>> Yes, FAT. It works and works well.
>>> Or exFAT which is Microsoft's solution to the problem of very large
>>> files on FAT.
>>

>> FAT32 won't work for me since I need to use files larger than 4GB.  I
>> know it's beta software but should exfat be more reliable than ntfs?
>

> It doesn't do all the fancy journalling that ntfs does, so based solely on
> complexity, it ought to be more reliable.
>
> None of us have done real tests and mentioned it here, so we really don't
> know how it pans out in the real world.
>
> Do a bunch of tests yourself and decide
>>

>>> Which NTFS system are you using?
>>>
>>> ntfs kernel module? It's quite dodgy and unsafe with writes
>>> ntfs-ng on fuse? I find that one quite solid
>>

>> I'm using ntfs-ng as opposed to the kernel option(s).
>

> I'm offering 10 to 1 odds that your problems came from a faulty USB stick,
> or maybe one that you yanked too soon

It could be failing hardware but I didn't touch the USB stick when it
freaked out.  This same thing has happened several times now with two
different USB sticks.

It sounds like I'm stuck with NTFS if I want to share the USB stick
amongst Gentoo systems without managing UUIDs and I want to work with
files larger than 4GB.  exfat is the other option but it sounds rather
unproven.

- Grant