I have also heard of the concept of Gentoo mentors in the past, though it
didn't seem like anyone is specifically involved. I think it would be a
nice initiative, but of course specifics then need to be drafted. For
instance, should it be irc based, forum based or both? What would be the
incentive for mentor-wannabes? Etc.

Best regards,
Andy Mender