My first suggestion is to create a project of Mentors, as a subproject of
ComRes and coprojects with Recruiters and Comrel.
Then it could assume a place on irc using #gentoo-mentors.  And possibly a
grouping created for them on the forums?

Mentor wannabes who wanna help out would join the project as members and
thus advertise their availability for wannabe devs in search of mentors.

Right now, the biggest weakness I see is a lack of organized visibility.
Having it as an official project, with a member list, would make potential
mentors much easier to find.