Andrej Rode wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> I see in that list that polkit has the gtk USE flag.  That could be some
>> of the problem.  What I usually do, I add the -t option and it lists the
>> packages in a way that shows what is pulling in what.  Sometimes, the
>> only way to make sense of the portage output is to see how portage got
>> to the output it gives.  If I recall correctly, I think it lists them
>> backwards.  It should tell you if it does.  It's been a while since I've
>> had to do that.
> What helped me alot to start out with portage/emerge is a line like:
> `EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--ask --ask-enter-invalid --keep-going --verbose
> --tree --jobs 10 --quiet-build --buildpkg --usepkg`
>
> You shouldn't be copying this line blindly into your
> `/etc/portage/make.conf` but see if you like to have some of these
> options always enabled when you call emerge and add them to your config. ;)
> Especially quiet-build lets you keep track of what portage is actually
> doing right now.
>
> Cheers,
> Andrej

This is my settings:

EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--with-bdeps y --backtrack=100 --keep-going -v -j8
--quiet-build=n -1"

I been using Gentoo for well over a decade.  Over the years, I found
settings that work with few problems and when I do have a problem, I can
figure it out, generally.  I may have to add -t at times but generally,
it just works.  It's been a while since I had to change those.  The last
change was increasing the backtrack.  I used to have it set to 30 but on
occasion, it just didn't allow portage to dig deep enough.  Setting it
to 100 seems to have fixed that.

Alan and Neil has a amazing ability to decrypt the output of emerge.
Sometimes I have to post and wait for one of them.  I'm getting better
at it.  I figure by the time I get as good as Alan and Neil, they will
change the way it spits out data and we will all have to learn it
again.   lol

Dale

:-)  :-)