On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 02:04:05PM -0500, Rich Freeman wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 1:44 PM,  <meino.cra...@gmx.de> wrote:
> > Corbin Bird <corbinb...@charter.net> [16-12-21 17:12]:
> > The first run of emerge tells me to add the systemd USE flag to dbus.
> > I did that and ran into to problems I reported.
>
> Ok, I think you left that bit out...
>
> And this is why it is helpful to understand why portage is doing
> something before just changing configuration settings.  Adding the
> systemd USE flag to packages is a really quick way to end up with
> systemd getting installed.  Generally speaking it shouldn't just
> happen by default...
>
> Can you show the output when you add -t to the emerge command?  I
> think that will be helpful.  However, I think an earlier poster was on
> the right track when he pointed out that the tmpfiles virtual requires
> an unstable version of openrc.  I'm not sure why that was getting
> pulled in in the first place, and -t should show that.
>

> > emerge: there are no ebuilds built with USE flags to satisfy
> > "media-libs/mesa[egl,gbm,gles2?,wayland]".
> > !!! One of the following packages is required to complete your request:
> > - media-libs/mesa-11.2.2::gentoo (Change USE: +wayland)
> > (dependency required by "kde-plasma/kwin-5.8.3::gentoo" [ebuild])
> > (dependency required by "kde-plasma/plasma-workspace-5.8.3-r4::gentoo"
> > [ebuild])
> > (dependency required by "net-p2p/ktorrent-5.0.1::gentoo[shutdown]" [ebuild])
> > (dependency required by "@selected" [set])
> > (dependency required by "@world" [argument])
> > [1]    20322 exit 1     emerge -t --update --newuse --deep --with-bdeps=y
> > --tree --keep-going
> >
> > What?
> >
> > Now wayland shall be installed? IIIIIKKKKKSSSS!
> > I want my UNIX back!
>
> Interesting.  I just noticed that it pulled in wayland for me.  I have
> no idea why kwin requires wayland support in mesa.  It obviously works
> fine with xorg.  I might do some looking into that.
>
> There isn't really anything non-UNIX about wayland, though I'm not
> sure I'd be in a rush to use it just yet.  It is just a replacement
> for xorg (to say the least, it doesn't purport to be a
> feature-complete replacement and may never be).

Wayland may not be non-UNIX, but putting everything into the compositor
(including keyboard input) just shifts responsibility to another piece
of software and actually complicates things a bit. I've not done much
digging into the matter but if I understood the structure of Wayland
correctly, you can't take screenshots or other talks-to-display-server
stuff unless the compositor supports it. With so much I/O going through
one thing (the compositor), it's ripe for abuse and security problems.

Of course, that doesn't make Xorg's security problems go away... like
any other set of competing software, you're trading one set of pros/cons
for another.

I've not seen anything about Wayland that convinces me it's hands-down
better.

That plasma dependency sounds weird, though. If you're not using
Wayland, it shouldn't require mesa to support it.