On Thu, Dec 22, 2016 at 3:56 AM, Neil Bothwick <n...@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 04:15:50 +0100, lee wrote:
>>
>> The perceived advantage lies in being able to refer to network ports
>> in a more reliable way, and I don't see how using unrecognisable
>> names instead of recognisable ones would make anything easier.
>
> See above re automation. It doesn't really matter whether you see the
> need or not. If you don't have the need, don't use it, they are an
> option for those who do want them.

All of this whining about predictable NIC names would be more or less
OK if there wasn't an easy way to override them in
"/{lib,etc}/systemd/network/" (even on a non-systemd system, see [1])
or in "/etc/udev/rules.d/"!

[1] There's no need to learn/use the udev rules syntax. I use the
following in "/etc/systemd/network/" on a Debian 8 system with
sysvinit-as-pid1:

[Match]
MACAddress=can't_be_bothered_to_look_it_up
[Link]
Name=en0