On Fri, Dec 23, 2016 at 8:57 PM, lee <l...@yagibdah.de> wrote:
> Tom H <tomh0...@gmail.com> writes:

>> [1] There's no need to learn/use the udev rules syntax. I use the
>> following in "/etc/systemd/network/" on a Debian 8 system with
>> sysvinit-as-pid1:
>>
>> [Match]
>> MACAddress=can't_be_bothered_to_look_it_up
>> [Link]
>> Name=en0
>
> Thanks!

You're welcome.

> What happens when you replace the card with another one that has a
> different MAC? Shouldn't an assignment like this rather go by the
> unrecognisable name? I'd find that more consistent.

AFAIK, you have three possibilities.

1) If you're renaming a NIC via its MAC address, you have to edit the
config file thatlinks the NIC's names and its MAC address.

2) If you're using udev's predictable names, the NIC'll have the same
(more or less complex) name if you use the same slot.

3) If you're using the kernel names, you have no guarantee that ethX
will be assigned to the same NIC at every bot.