On February 5, 2017 6:26:27 AM GMT+01:00, meino.cra...@gmx.de wrote:
>Hi,
>
>since my old Gentoo installation seems to be screwed up (regarding
>the update process) beyond repair I decided to install a new one
>instead of waiting for help.
>
>I already made space at a certain of my harddisk and installed the
>stage3 there.
>Chrooting is one of the first steps to check, whether what I have
>done so is valid.
>
>But before deleting the old root and install the new one at its
>place I would like to do a atmost identical boot into the new
>root.
>
>As far as I know the kernel only allows to boot into a partition
>(instead of a directory on a partition containing the root
>installation) and I am still using devices to boot from instead
>of GPT.
>
>Is there any neat trick to do a real boot into the new root via
>the normal boot process (grub2) nevertheless ?
>
>Cheers
>Meino

If I understand correctly. The answer is no. (Unless you write some clever
initramfs)

Afaik, the kernel takes the entire partition and mounts it at '/'. If you want
it to use a directory (which would then be at '/newinstall') you need to get
the kernel to chroot into that directory and run init in there.

Only option I see is to use an extra disk. Maybe a USB drive and use that.

--
Joost