On Sunday, February 5, 2017 9:46:53 AM CET meino.cra...@gmx.de wrote:
> J. Roeleveld <jo...@antarean.org> [17-02-05 08:44]:
> > On February 5, 2017 6:26:27 AM GMT+01:00, meino.cra...@gmx.de wrote:
> > >Hi,
> > >
> > >since my old Gentoo installation seems to be screwed up (regarding
> > >the update process) beyond repair I decided to install a new one
> > >instead of waiting for help.
> > >
> > >I already made space at a certain of my harddisk and installed the
> > >stage3 there.
> > >Chrooting is one of the first steps to check, whether what I have
> > >done so is valid.
> > >
> > >But before deleting the old root and install the new one at its
> > >place I would like to do a atmost identical boot into the new
> > >root.
> > >
> > >As far as I know the kernel only allows to boot into a partition
> > >(instead of a directory on a partition containing the root
> > >installation) and I am still using devices to boot from instead
> > >of GPT.
> > >
> > >Is there any neat trick to do a real boot into the new root via
> > >the normal boot process (grub2) nevertheless ?
> > >
> > >Cheers
> > >Meino
> >
> > If I understand correctly. The answer is no. (Unless you write some clever
> > initramfs)
> >
> > Afaik, the kernel takes the entire partition and mounts it at '/'. If you
> > want it to use a directory (which would then be at '/newinstall') you
> > need to get the kernel to chroot into that directory and run init in
> > there.
> >
> > Only option I see is to use an extra disk. Maybe a USB drive and use that.
> >
> > --
> > Joost
>
> Hi Joost,
>
> thanks fpr your posting! :)
>
> Ok...another USB drive mau lay around here...will see...
> Just two quick questions:
>
> Is this ok, to preserve as much as possible of the
> settings/attributes/whatever of the files or do you anything better
> and quickier than this:
> (cd <sourcedir>/. ; tar cf - . ) | ( cd <targetdir>/. ; tar xvpsf - )
> ?

Don't forget to add the permissions on the source side:

tar --xattrs -cvpf .
And maybe also add "--xattrs" on the target side.

Other options:
# rsync (not fully certain about options)
# cd <target> ; cp -a <source> .

I never did any timing, but logic tells me using the "cp" option is quicker
(as it is all on the same system)

--
Joost