Johannes Rosenberger <gen...@jorsn.eu> writes:

> On 11.02.2017 20:47, Rich Freeman wrote:
>> On Sat, Feb 11, 2017 at 2:12 PM, Harry Putnam <rea...@newsguy.com> wrote:
>>> Again I get a kernel panic but this time its different.  It seems to
>>> mount the disks ok but then fails to find a working `init' command.
>>>
>>> Checking that with sysrescueCD I see /sbin/init does exist on that new vm.
>>> and is executable.
>>>
>>> The disk setup is sda1=/boot sda2=swap sda3=/home sda4=/
>>>
>> My guess is that it is mounting the wrong filesystem as root.  It
>> might be detecting /dev/sdb as /dev/sda.  Also, the root device might
>> be named /dev/xda4 depending on the kernel/etc.  Systemrescuecd isn't
>> using the same kernel/etc so it might not see the disks the same way.
>>
>> An initramfs with root=UUID="505f850e-b26a-4d0f-a02f-6ba573a48ad8" (or
>> a label) would be a more reliable way to handle this, or you can
>> probably just fiddle with the device names until you stumble on the
>> right one.
>>

> Well, if you look at the kernel messages you see that the init is found
> but not executable (error -8). I don't know what the error number means, but
> have you set CONFIG_BINFMT_ELF and CONFIG_BINFMT_SCRIPT in your .config?
> Is /bin/sh executable?

Error means ENOEXEC I think from browsing a bit on google

About BINFMT

Yes. (grepping from chroot at /usr/src/linux/)
  grep BINFMT .config

  CONFIG_BINFMT_ELF=y
  CONFIG_BINFMT_SCRIPT=y
  # CONFIG_BINFMT_AOUT is not set
  # CONFIG_BINFMT_MISC is not set

I just chrooted and re-emerged sysvinit but no help.  From chroot, I
ran /sbin/init 3 and it did try to go to runlevel 3 (just brought me
out of chroot), so it appears to be working.

The stuff about `runaway loop' at modprobe (in the kernel messages)
seems like it might mean something.

I think I'll test about modprobe for that module binfmt-46-4c