Johannes Rosenberger <gen...@jorsn.eu> writes:

> I found something interesting:
>>  request_module: runaway loop modprobe binfmt-464c
>> Short answer: If you are getting this error right after linux kernel
>> initialization, you are likely booting a 32-bit kernel with a 64-bit OS.
>>
>> Long answer: If you boot a 32-bit kernel with a 64-bit OS, when the
>> kernel tries to start /sbin/init (a 64-bit binary), it won't recognize
>> the binary format, and it'll try to load the binfmt-464c kernel
>> module, which is ELF support. (ELF support is generally compiled into
>> the kernel, not built as a module, by the way.)
>>
>> The reason for the loop error is that the kernel is trying to invoke
>> modprobe to load the module, and modprobe is itself an ELF binary,
>> resulting in a recursion loop...
>     --
> http://saalwaechter-notes.blogspot.de/2008/10/requestmodule-runaway-loop-modprobe.html
>
> I hope it helps.

Sounds promising, but a couple of things makes it seem unlikely. 1)
I'm installing from a 64 bit ISO on a a 64 bit host.
2) one of the very earlier things on menuconfig one is asked if they
want a 64 bit kernel... I checked that.

At least this is true of kernel 4.9.6-r1

I'm going to verify that again in a bit.