On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 01:44:02PM +0100, Kai Krakow wrote

> You could also try to stop portage from even syncing the KDE components
> into the tree. I usually do this for small systems to not give portage
> any chance of pulling in unwanted components. As a plus, syncing and
> dep calculation should be faster.

  That would generate error messages.  The best solution is to get rid
whatever is pulling in KDE.  As for blocking stuff to pull in, to quote
Frank Sinatra, "I did it m-y-y-y-y-y way".  I wrote a script,
/etc/portage/cleanup which generates /etc/portage/rsync_excludes on my
machines.  Note that the groups listed are what I don't use.  Your
machine(s) will probably have a different set of unnecessary stuff.

#!/bin/bash
remove() {
rm -rf /usr/portage/${1}/ /usr/portage/metadata/md5-cache/${1}/
echo "${1}/" >> /etc/portage/rsync_excludes
echo "metadata/md5-cache/${1}/" >> /etc/portage/rsync_excludes
}
#
# Remove rsync_excludes
rm /etc/portage/rsync_excludes