"Poison BL." <poiso...@gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 10:29 AM, lee <l...@yagibdah.de> wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> since the usage of FTP seems to be declining, what is a replacement
>> which is at least as good as FTP?
>>
>> I'm aware that there's webdav, but that's very awkward to use and
>> missing features.
>>

>> --
>> "Didn't work" is an error.
>>

> The one issue I have with all the answers I've seen is that they all lack
> the most important question. You're asking for alternatives for an old tool
> that was used for many use cases that, these days, have evolved to have
> very different requirements for security, integration of access methods,
> and general workflows for use. FTP used to be the go-to for long distance
> file sharing for *all* use cases, one to one (user managing a website's
> content), many to one (upload site), one to many (download site), etc.
> What's your use case?

all of them, with encrypted transfers and users needing a password for
access

I don't know anything better than ftp for this.  Alternatively, there
would need to be several different services for each group of users
accommodating their particular use case, and being a nightmare to deploy,
to maintain and to use.

--
"Didn't work" is an error.