On Fri, 2 Jun 2017 02:23:44 -0400
Alan Grimes <alonz...@verizon.net> wrote:

> without spending all day and all night cut-pasting filenames into
> another terminal and running rm on them...

Looking at the candidate you showed:

k3b:

  version=2.0.3-r5 slot=4   stable
  version=17.04.1  slot=5   testing

It seems like its plausible you recently changed your keywording choices
somewhere from "arch" to "~arch", bringing a lot of untested upgrades
with it. Or, you allowed portage to perform far more auto-unmasks than
really made sense for what you're doing.

I could be wrong though.

But what appears to be the problem is you have 2 k3b versions, which,
according to slots, should be permitted to be co-installed, but
according to the files they install, can't be co-installed.

This seems like possible cause for opening a bug on k3b, so that
k3b:5 blocks against k3b:4 and vice versa.

But as for the other cases you saw, I can't really comment, because its
seldom the case that multiple packages are having file collisions for
the same reason.

The only usual reason for that sort of thing happening on a broad scale
is /usr/  getting provisioned during install, and staying, but the
contents index in /var/db/pkg getting lost somehow due to the segv +
reboot, leaving the files there, but leaving portage with no memory of
where they came from.

I've had that sort of thing happen before, but its very rare.