>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Does SoftLayer provide a rescue OS for there servers? Or at least,
>> > some amd64 linux that you can boot from PXE.
>>

>> It looks like they have both:
>>
>> https://knowledgelayer.softlayer.com/procedure/launch-rescue-kernel
>>
>> https://knowledgelayer.softlayer.com/learning/introduction-no-os
>>
>> Is the rescue kernel likely a way to boot to some attached OS with tools?
>>
>> Also I have several identical disks on this system if there's a way to
>> leverage that for this purpose.
>
> The installation tasks before chrooting into the detared stage3 can be
> achieved on any Linux based OS. So, boot on the rescue kernel, do the
> first steps from it, and then chroot into your disk :)

The rescue kernel seems to only boot the same OS read-only and maybe
some other tweaks.  Unless I'm missing something, I don't think I'll
be able to partition/format my disk after booting the rescue kernel
since I'll be working from the OS running on the same disk I need to
partition/format.

Since I have multiple disks, could I boot sda as usual, install
something I can boot to on sdb, switch the boot order and boot to sdb,
install Gentoo on sda, switch the boot order back and boot into Gentoo
on sda?

- Grant