On Sat, 29 Jul 2017 16:05:49 -0400,
Rich Freeman wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 29, 2017 at 4:24 AM, John Covici <cov...@ccs.covici.com> wrote:
> > OK, I changed to a git repository and did a git whatchanged, but in
> > the directory I was looking at namely sys-kernel/dracut, I just got a
> > generated commit from about the time I created the repository and none
> > of the previous history.  Maybe from now on I will get something
> > better.
> >

> If you obtained your repository by editing repos.conf then you also
> need to set sync-depth = 0 if you want to actually get any history.
> By default portage will not pull any history when syncing git.  I'm
> not sure if it will fetch the old history or not if you add it after
> the initial sync.  The default is intended to keep the size down while
> allowing more efficient syncs (git is more efficient than rsync if you
> are doing frequent updates).
>
> If you just do a git clone then you should get everything by default.

Well, clone-depth = 0 gave me a syntax error and it said in the
portage manpage
                            clone-depth

Specifies

                   clone

                   depth

                   to use

                   for

                   DVCS

                   repositories. Defaults

                   to 1

                   (only

                   the

                   newest

                   commit). If

                   set to

                   0, the

                   depth

                   is

                   unlimited.

So, maybe I have to do just a git clone by hand?

How do
you spend it?

         John Covici
         cov...@ccs.covici.com