On Sun, 30 Jul 2017 09:53:18 -0400,
Rich Freeman wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 30, 2017 at 9:36 AM, John Covici <cov...@ccs.covici.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, 30 Jul 2017 09:07:03 -0400,
> > Rich Freeman wrote:

> >> Can you provide the entire contents of your repos.conf, and the error
> >> it gives you?
> >>
> >> I wouldn't use a manual checkout for /usr/portage.  You can of course
> >> do a checkout elsewhere but your permissions will probably get messed
> >> up if you checkout /usr/portage by hand.
> >
> > Well, I don't have the error message anymore and I did what I thought
> > you suggested -- beffore I got your last message -- I just did a git
> > clone of the repository to /usr/portage and the only unusual thing was
> > the first time I ran portage, it did its global updates and it seems
> > to be working.
> >

> Well, if your repos.conf still says to use rsync then you can't use
> clone-depth in it, since that doesn't work with rsync.  It might also
> mean that you now have files owned by root in /usr/portage which an
> emerge --sync is going to have trouble dealing with, since it runs
> with reduced permissions.  It isn't a big deal - just get repos.conf
> the way you want it (either with git or rsync), delete /usr/portage,
> and let an emerge --sync re-create it.
>
> If you want to do a git clone I'd do it someplace other than /usr/portage.
>
> You really have a few options here:
>
> 1.  If you look at history all the time just set up /usr/portage to be
> a git repository with clone-depth=0.  Make sure you use the repository
> I linked which has metadata pre-generated - if you sync from the
> official Gentoo repo you'll have to rebuild the metadata all the time.
> Plus the mirror I linked also has QA checks so that when a developer
> breaks something it just won't update until somebody fixes it, which
> will save you some grief (maybe 1-2x a year it ends up being a few
> days stale).
>
> 2.  If you almost never look at history and you care about disk space
> then either use rsync or sync with clone-depth=1 to minimize the size
> of /usr/portage, and then do a temporary git clone when you really
> need it, or browse history online.
>
> Personally I do #1.  I have full history, and it syncs a lot faster
> than rsync.  Git is smarter about syncing since it knows about history
> and thus what has changed.  However, it has to send all the commits
> in-between your current and target state.  If you only sync once a
> month it might be faster to use rsync, since rsync only sends the
> final version, and not every intermediate one, so files that were both
> added and removed in the interim don't get sent.  However, rsync
> doesn't know anything about history and has to scan the entire tree to
> figure out what has changed.
>
> Oh, if /usr/portage is a git repository refrain from editing anything
> in it unless you know what you're doing.  With rsync portage will just
> overwrite anything you mess with on the next sync.  With git it will
> [...]

Thanks.  clone-depth seems not  to be available, so I amnot sure whats
best here.  I thinkI like the history, so I will see how to do a git
clone.  I do havethe type as git in the gentoo.conf, but I don't  know
what happened to clone-depth -- its not in the portage man page.

Thanks again -- this has beeninstructive for me.

How do
you spend it?

         John Covici
         cov...@ccs.covici.com