On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 12:07 AM, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Rich Freeman wrote:
>> On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 5:22 PM, wabe <waben...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I'm using an AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor. I bought it six or seven
>>> years ago when it was brand-new. It still works to my satisfaction. But
>>> of course recent CPUs (for example AMD Ryzen) are much faster. Therefore
>>> I wanna buy an AMD Threadripper next year. This should be an enormous
>>> speedup. :-)
>>>
>> Having just upgraded one of those to a Ryzen 5 1600 I can tell you
>> that besides tripling your kernel build speeds, it will also sound
>> less like a hair dryer and make your room feel less like it has a
>> space heater inside.
>>

> My old rig, AMD 2500+ CPU with about 3 or 4GBs of ram.  My new rig, AMD
> Phenom II X4 955  with 16GBs of ram.  My old rig, pulled about 400 watts
> from the wall, while idle.  My new rig, pulls about 160 watts idle and
> that includes monitor, router and all.  I don't think my little speakers
> are plugged into the UPS.  Thing is, my new rig according to my math is
> almost 10 times as fast. It has a lot more ram and more drives than the
> old rig.
>
> More to your point, my old rig used 80mm fans.  It had lots of them.
> CPU, several on the case including some I added myself.  It made some
> noise for sure.  My new case is a Cooler Master HAF-932.  It has those
> 200mm fans which move a lot of air but turn pretty slowly, which means
> quiet.  Thing is, the newer and faster rig runs cooler, quieter and
> faster than the old rig by far.
>
> Isn't it amazing how efficient and fast newer computers are?  It's
> almost worth the energy saving to upgrade.  If a person runs their
> system 24/7, that is even more reason.

It's something I used to bring up in #gentoo when people would come in
and ask or complain about compilation times. The amortization period
for computers is generally 3 years. If you use them longer, you are
(in theory) losing money relative to your competitors.

As a home user, your time and energy budgets might not be so tight,
but the lack of stress is worth a nice desktop for compiling your
software.