I don't (and won't) use PulseAudio and haven't set up dmix or anything
like it. The weird thing is the simultaneous audio works with every
other program I use (Qutebrowser, mpd, Audacity etc.) -- it's only Pd
that gives the error.

I already use JACK when recording but it would be more convenient for me
to use ALSA when I'm just quickly trying out stuff. (I've set up JACK to
use an audio interface I don't have plugged in most of the time.)

- Lasse