I think you are looking for problems that are not there.  Almost
finished recompiling the surface4 pro and have one compile failure I
have not looked at - the original palemoon is still working.  The
hibernate to disk just failed so it rebooted from scratch and I could
continue working on it while it finished but a full desktop is so much
nicer :)  I have some other (slower) systems in earlier stages of the
rebuild that are working fine.

do an emerge -ep world > a
edit a to something like below then "bash a" to run it:
        emerge -v =kde-frameworks/kdelibs4support-5.37.0  && \
        emerge -v =kde-apps/kio-extras-17.08.3  && \
        emerge -v =kde-plasma/user-manager-5.10.5  && \
        emerge -v =kde-frameworks/kactivities-stats-5.37.0  && \
        emerge -v =kde-apps/okular-17.08.3  && \
        blah blah blah ...

When an emerge stops, either fix it or comment it out for later.  Edit
"a" and delete finished builds and go again - in the meantime keep
working ...