On Mon, Dec 4, 2017 at 10:39 PM, Daniel Frey <djqf...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I was genuinely annoyed with grub2 due to its update and massive config
> files, so I never upgraded to it. I usually had multiple kernel versions and
> grub2 helpfully labeled them all "Linux" so I couldn't tell them apart.
>
> I figured out you can still write your own grub2 files, and it wasn't that
> difficult, other than its numbering is different now (no base-0
> partitions... argh.)

You can use

search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root filesystem_uuid

instead of

root=(hdX,msdosY)

and avoid having to deal with the grub1 to grub2 change of disks
starting at 0 and partitions at 1. Why the grub developers didn't make
disks to start at 1 when they made the partitions start at 1 is a
mystery. Maybe we'll be surprised in a future grub3 :)