On Sat, 09 Dec 2017 03:51:03 -0500,
Alan McKinnon wrote:

> On 08/12/2017 21:12, John Covici wrote:
> > On Fri, 08 Dec 2017 11:42:16 -0500,
> > Alan McKinnon wrote:

> [snip]
>

> >> No, I don't think you should revert the profile change. I understood
> >> from your mail than you had not done that yet, and typed accordingly.
> >>
> >> I think Michael is on the right track with backtrack - set it to
> >> something very high like 1000, see if that gets to a solution.
> >

> > I did switch back, but the only way I could do a "successful" update
> > was to mask off 5.26 and then it skipped the update and would have
> > been successful.  If I switch to the new profile, I can do nothing as
> > far as perl goes.  I will show the output of just trying to emerge
> > below, it seems there were many many packages still requiring 5.24.
>
> No, that's not right. The tree is consistent and portage can figure out
> how to get from perl-5.24 to perl-5.26
>
> You probably have a difference locally, I would search through
> /etc/portage looking for entries that mask some perl modules and peg
> them to 5.24 versions.
>
> Failing that, maybe you have a package installed that depends on a 5.24
> version of some module and this is the ripple effect
>
> Perhaps run emerge with "--verbose-conflicts" and also "emerge -e world"
> and post the results
>

> > This is with the new profile and backtrack set to 500.
> >
> >  instances within a single package slot have been pulled
> >  !!! into the dependency graph, resulting in a slot conflict:
> >
> > dev-lang/perl:0
> >
> >   (dev-lang/perl-5.26.1-r1:0/5.26::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
> >   pulled in by
> >       =dev-lang/perl-5.26* required by
> >   (virtual/perl-ExtUtils-Manifest-1.700.0-r4:0/0::gentoo, installed)
> >       ^              ^^^^^
> >          dev-lang/perl (Argument)
> >                 (and 13 more with the same problems)
> >
> >   (dev-lang/perl-5.24.3:0/5.24::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
> >       =dev-lang/perl-5.24* required by
> >       (virtual/perl-Term-ANSIColor-4.40.0-r1:0/0::gentoo, installed)
> >          ^              ^^^^^
> >                 dev-lang/perl:0/5.24= required by
> >       (dev-perl/XML-Twig-3.520.0:0/0::gentoo, installed)
> >                       ^^^^^^^^
> >                                    (and 260 more with the same problems)
> >
> > NOTE: Use the '--verbose-conflicts' option to display parents omitted
> > above
> >
> > It may be possible to solve this problem by using package.mask to
> > prevent one of those packages from being selected. However, it is also
> > possible that conflicting dependencies exist such that they are
> > impossible to satisfy simultaneously.  If such a conflict exists in
> > the dependencies of two different packages, then those packages can
> > not be installed simultaneously.
> >
> > For more information, see MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge man
> > page or refer to the Gentoo Handbook.

hmmm, nothing masked as far as perl modules,  I will look at
verbose-conflicts and maybe write down all those modules and start
unmerging and see if eventually portage can figure out something -- I
don't really want to  do that,  however I will look at the conflicts
and see what I can find.

How do
you spend it?

         John Covici