On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 4:03 PM, Alan Mackenzie <a...@muc.de> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 18:56:15 +0000, Neil Bothwick wrote:

>> This may come as a surprise to some, but some things you hear on
>> t'internet are not true...
>>
>> For example, the http server is there to allow access to logs from
>> another machine without needing to grant SSH access. It is not enabled by
>> default.
>
> OK. But it's still there taking up RAM, and (more importantly) makes a
> systemd system a broader target for attacks. Whether a system has an
> http server (or, for that matter, an SSH server), for whatever purpose,
> should be for the system administrator to decide. I suspect this isn't
> the case for systemd's http server.
>
> In any case, I don't want an http server on my system: I have no http to
> serve. I installed sshd as one of the first things on my new system, to
> facilitate the transfer of files to it (and, probably, reading logs from
> it remotely).

I don't use systemd on Gentoo but I assume that there's a USE flag for
the http server, because, in binary distributions, this http server's
in a standalone package - "systemd-journal-remote" on Ubuntu and
"systemd-journal-gateway" on RHEL and clones.

> I don't want a binary logging daemon either: that means having to learn
> a special purpose utility to be able to read its logs, and, in general,
> not being able to read that log from a remote machine.

You can set "Storage=none" and "ForwardToSyslog=yes" in
"/etc/systemd/journald.conf", install and enable rsyslog and you won't
have binary logs when running systemd.