On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 5:29 PM, Neil Bothwick <n...@digimed.co.uk> wrote:

> "journalctl" is just the same as "less /var/log/messages" so here's
> not much to learn unless you want to use the search features. Reading
> the log from a remote machine is easy, using either SSH or HTTP,
> whichever you prefer. My one complaint about the systemd journal is
> that there is not, AFAIK, a standalone reader. If I want to boot from
> a live CD, I can only read the logs if it is a systemd live CD, or I
> chroot into the original system. Unless someone knows different...

In an emergency, "strings system.journal | grep MESSAGE= | less" is useful.

It's too bad that there isn't a standalone journal reader but the
systemd developers live in a systemd world and assume that others live
in the same world. Anyway, a live CD of a systemd-based distribution's
always easy to retrieve and use.