> Hm.
>
> # wc -l /var/lib/portage/world
> 1140 /var/lib/portage/world
>
> Am I doing something wrong?

If you're emerging dependencies without -1, then yes, otherwise, no.

> Looking it over, it looks right though.
> And --depclean is hopelessly overeager here.

What makes you think that?

> ====
> Packages installed:   3511
> Packages in world:    1140
> Packages in system:   43
> Required packages:    2581
> Number to remove:     930
> ====
>
> Hm. I guess there's stuff missing from world (linux-gazette*?) or
> something's broke. I guess I should quickpkg stuff, run a depclean and
> go figure what's missing ;) adding to world/pruning whatever ;) I know
> a lot of those "depcleaned" pkgs are wanted/needed, so I missed adding
> stuff to world or deps are lacking...

Yeah reviewing the output of a --pv --depclean sounds like a good idea.
Then you can add anything that's obviously missing to world before a real
--depclean. When i depclean i use -av --depclean --exclude gcc --exclude
gentoo-sources, since i like keep 2 gcc's around and I look after sources
manually.

AFAIK missing dependencies are rare as they are quickly identified by the
breakage.

> Oh well. Not while I'm cleaning
> up after the profile-13/gcc-5.4 -> profile-17/gcc-7.2 stuff (I'd
> already compiled most with gcc 6.4, with "std=c++14" for C++ stuff. So
> not much change there besides pie/no-pie.

I ended up rebuilding two machines, partly due to self induced
hardened/PIE/PIC pain, and also to start with empty USE and
/etc/portage/package.* files which were full of crap after many years. I
now have;
$ wc -l /var/lib/portage/world
63 /var/lib/portage/world

and emerge -pe says "Total: 1024 packages"