Hello,

On Mon, 18 Dec 2017, Dale wrote:
>David Haller wrote:
>> On Mon, 18 Dec 2017, Dale wrote:
>>> The key thing, remembering to force it to be added to world, which is a
>>> lot easier than remembering to use -1 for ALL those things I don't want
>>> in the world file.  Before I added the -1 option, my world file was full
>>> of all sorts of things that have no business being there at all.  It was
>>> causing huge problems with upgrades and such.
>> Hm.
>>
>> # wc -l /var/lib/portage/world
>> 1140 /var/lib/portage/world
>>
>> Am I doing something wrong? Looking it over, it looks right though.
>> And --depclean is hopelessly overeager here.
>>
>> ====
>> Packages installed:   3511
>> Packages in world:    1140
>> Packages in system:   43
>> Required packages:    2581
>> Number to remove:     930
>> ====
[..]
>I have KDE installed here plus other desktops as well.  While I use some
>meta packages, I do some on their own as needed.  I have a lot of things
>installed since I have a digital camera, burn CD/DVDs and all sorts of
>other weird things.  Here is mine.
>
>root@fireball / # wc -l /var/lib/portage/world
>201 /var/lib/portage/world
>root@fireball / #

That's not much ;)

[..]
>There is a command that may help with this.  I've never used it and
>would strongly recommend backing up your world file first.  There is no
>help or options for it that show up here.
>
>regenworld

Ah, thanks, didn't know that one.

>Either way, doing it manually or using that command, you should end up
>with a clean world file after some effort.  I would guess that updates
>would be much easier.  Most of mine work first time with no problems.
>Any failures are usually from the build itself.

I guess I just have too many little stuff in @world. E.g. I explicitly
want the x265 commandline tool, so I have media-libs/x265 in @world.
Same goes for e.g. ffmpeg (for /usr/bin/ffmpeg), etc. pp. Or just
this:

# grep -c app-arch/ /var/lib/portage/world
42      (sic! ;)

Lots of app-{x,}emacs/, app-shells/, app-portage/, app-text/,
games-*/, media-*/...

I'm reather overeager emerging with -1 :) Hah! Got one: --depclean
suggested dev-haskell/x509-validation. Ok, removed it and it is still
used. Ok, let's see if rebuilding depending stuff
(dev-haskell/connection and dev-haskell/tls) helps:

Doesn't seem like it:

 * ghc-pkg check: 'checking for other broken packages:'
There are problems in package connection-0.2.5:
  dependency "x509-validation-1.6.5-9d1Itw2kfW6JXBlF0ahQsB" doesn't exist
There are problems in package tls-1.3.9:
  dependency "x509-validation-1.6.5-9d1Itw2kfW6JXBlF0ahQsB" doesn't exist
[..]
>>> Failed to emerge dev-haskell/connection-0.2.5,

So, remerging dev-haskell/x509-validation. That's one example of the
"overeager" --depclean... (and no, neither dev-haskell/connection
dev-haskell/tls has the "profile"-USE-flags set, but it seems the
build does actually need it).

Whoa, --depclean wants to remove a bunch of eselects too, e.g.
app-eselect/eselect-package-manager and app-eselect/eselect-pdftex.
Ok, I don't have texlive-core in world, but it is pulled in by various
other stuff...

Oh well, I'll have to check what depclean's doing wrong better.

-dnh

--
What got my attention one time, however, was the list that included
both "chicken" and "chicken meat" as distinct ingredients.