Neil Bothwick schreef:
> On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 11:19:55 -0300, Matias Grana wrote:
>

>> I'm trying to compile  vim  with +clipboard support. One can do
>> this by passing  --enable-clipboard  to configure. There's no USE
>> flag for this feature. After some research, I've learned that the
>> way to do this is to configure the  EXTRA_ECONF  variable. Now the
>> question is: is there a file to put these variables in? Something
>> like /etc/portage/package.use but for econfs?
>

> You can set variables for individual ebuilds using
> /etc/portage/bashrc. save the attached file as /etc/portage/bashrc
> then do
>
> mkdir -p /etc/portage/env.d/app-editors echo
> >>/etc/portage/env.d/app-editors/vim
> 'EXTRA_ECONF="--enable-clipboard"'
>
> You can use this to set variables, or override default settings, for
> any package.

Oh, Neil, you're kidding, right? I'd had to use FEATURES="-nostrip" on
the command line for *ages* to get SDL to emerge unstripped so that it
would work with NWMovies (the hack that allows Neverwinter Nights to
play movies inside the game, like normal); the only reason I stopped was
because with the very most recent versions of SDL even that doesn't work
and I have to compile it manually after hacking one line in video.c.

But you're saying I could have just added echo >>
/etc/portage/env.d/media-libs/libsdl 'FEATURES="nostrip"' to
/etc/portage/bashrc and I would have been done, all those times-- could
have just emerged normally?

But man 5 portage doesn't say anything about /etc/portage/env.d, and it
doesn't say anything much about what precisely you can put in
/etc/portage/bashrc either:

SYNOPSIS
       /etc/
              make.globals
              make.conf(5)

       /etc/make.profile/
              deprecated
              make.defaults
              packages
              packages.build
              package.provided
              parent
              use.defaults
              use.mask
              virtuals

       /etc/portage/
              bashrc
              package.mask
              package.unmask
              package.keywords
              package.use
              mirrors
              categories

       /etc/portage/profile/
              site-specific overrides of /etc/make.profile/

       /usr/portage/profiles/
              arch.list
              categories
              info_pkgs
              info_vars
              package.mask
              profiles.desc
              thirdpartymirrors
              use.desc
              use.local.desc
              use.mask

       /var/lib/portage/
              world

(note no /etc/portage/env.d mentioned, so how would one know to create
it or that it would be recognized by Portage)

       /etc/portage/

              bashrc If needed, this file can be used to set up a
special environment  for  ebuilds,  different  from  the
                     standard root environment.  The syntax is the same
as for any other bash script.

(this says almost nothing, frankly, unless you are very familiar with
the 'standard root environment for ebuilds', and again, doesn't say
anything about which particular features of this enviroment may be
varied by this file, or if any of them may not be, in true 'not yet
implemented' fashion).

But then again, I restrict myself to the last stable version of Portage:

* sys-apps/portage
     Available versions:  2.0.51.22-r3 ~2.0.53_rc5 [M]2.1.0_alpha20050718
     Installed:           2.0.51.22-r3

Is it possible that the man page is updated in the unstable versions, or
that this is implemented in the unstable versions only, or are you just
very clever to have figured this all out :-) ?

Holly