On Thursday, 5 April 2018 12:47:43 BST Wol's lists wrote:
> On 05/04/18 09:57, Peter Humphrey wrote:
> > Indeed, and that's more-or-less how I see the usual American insistence on
> > a comma before the "and" before the last item in a list, even though it
> > gets in the way and introduces ambiguity - the infamous Oxford comma.
> >
> > But that's a whole new can of worms.
>
> I think we should table that ...

Do you mean shelve it? In this country, tabling something means putting it on
the table - for discussion.

> I was taught that a comma separates items in a list, an "and" joins
> them, and you do not mix the two! Indeed, when I did my English GCE
> (that dates it!) I believe the Examining Board Style Guide explicitly
> enforced that rule, and you lost marks for breaking it.

Clearly a different GCE exam board from mine.

My view is that a comma stands in place of "and". Think of a child's earliest
speaking days, in which it utters long, rambling sentences with "and" joining
the parts. Later it learns about commas and uses those instead. So putting the
two together as a matter of course is just repetitious and awkward.

> Personally, I do what feels right and I suspect the longer the list, the
> more likely I am to use a comma before the last and.

To me, the pair are needed only when a particular emphasis is wanted.

> But again this comes down to another moan of mine - why is "The Queen's
> English" considered "correct", while let's say Yorkshire Dialect is
> considered "wrong", when said dialect is hundreds of years old but the
> Queen's English has probably only been around for about a century.

Correctness is not a helpful concept in a living language, not least because
it changes from decade to decade. Besides, are you confusing Queen's English
with Received Pronunciation?

> I'm all for standards, but the complaint should not be "it's wrong", but
> "it breaks the standard", and importantly you need to know *which* standard!

I prefer "it's not idiomatic." Standards go with (in)correctness, which is a
mathematical concept (only one answer is correct; all others are wrong);
aptness or conventionality are both better.

--
Regards,
Peter.