On 05/22/2018 05:12 PM, Grant Edwards wrote:
The 3270 was completely screen-oriented. An entire screen was loaded from the host. That screen included fields with various attributes (e.g. editable vs. read-only). You could edit whatever was editable on the screen, and then when you hit "submit" the entire screen was sent to the host (there may have been an option to send only edited or editable fields, I don't remember the details). IOW, it worked vaguely like an HTML page containing a form. Except there were various entertaining ways things went wrong that don't happen with an HTML form. IIRC, if you inserted too much data into an improperly defined field, it could shift everything below it and muck up all the rest of the fields. I also seem to recall sometimes being able to edit fields that weren't really supposed to be editable, and then hilarity ensued when you hit submit.

I should have known / remembered that 3270 was screen oriented.

I've made the comparison to HTML forms multiple times myself.

Ya, the editable / non-editable setting was sent by the host and it trusted that the client would not much with them. A number of mainframe hackers have leveraged this (mis)feature before.

Some of the fields are similar to hidden fields in HTML forms.

Though I did actually use some genuine IBM green-screen "3270-like" terminals, most of my experience was with 3270 emulators running under X11 -- so some of the fun was probably caused by bugs in the emulators.

Yep.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die