On Monday, July 2, 2018 12:40:29 AM CDT Adam Carter wrote:

> > portage? I

> > > What are you trying to do? Find the command being run and run it
> > > manually while specifying --keyserver. Also file a bug report.
> > >
> > > I posted my last reply after pgp.mit.edu also failed. The URL you give
> > > is obviously a key server pool, but it looks like MIT's may be also
> > > (without inspecting it). I retried on MIT's URL until the request went
> > > through. If you can't change the URL then keep trying.
> > >
> > > The issue is, I think, that the pool will give you servers that don't
> > > support HKP, but I have had this issue when contacting keyservers
> > > directly.
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > >
> > >      R0b0t1
> >
> > Currently, portage is using that pool url when I run emaint's sync module.
> > keep getting the "no route to host" error from it, and no indication what
> > server it's actually being directed to.
> >
> > What I want to do is reconfigure portage to use a particular server that I
> > know
> > is reliable.
>
> Looks like its using multiple A records;
>
> $ host hkps.pool.sks-keyservers.net
> hkps.pool.sks-keyservers.net has address 18.9.60.141
> hkps.pool.sks-keyservers.net has address 18.191.65.131
> hkps.pool.sks-keyservers.net has address 37.191.226.104
> hkps.pool.sks-keyservers.net has address 92.43.111.21
> hkps.pool.sks-keyservers.net has address 193.164.133.100
> hkps.pool.sks-keyservers.net has address 216.66.15.2
> hkps.pool.sks-keyservers.net has IPv6 address 2001:470:1:116::6
> hkps.pool.sks-keyservers.net has IPv6 address 2600:1f16:41e:bd0a::73:6b73
> hkps.pool.sks-keyservers.net has IPv6 address
> 2a01:4a0:59:1000:223:9eff:fe00:100f
> hkps.pool.sks-keyservers.net has IPv6 address 2a02:c205:3001:3626::1
>
> For an ugly hack you could test these to find one that works, then add that
> one to your /etc/hosts file.
>
> Perhaps there's a hostmas...@hkps.pool.sks-keyservers.net you could notify
> to fix it?

Yes. That is how the pool URL works. It does some sort of load-balancing via
DNS resolution. That's why it has so many addresses.

I am well aware of the /etc/hosts hack, but it's an ugly work-around. I'd
rather be able to configure portage itself to use a different pool or a
specific
server, rather than mess around with DNS resolutions. And I haven't been
having any luck in searching for how to configure the keyserver used by
Portage.

Yes, there is an email address I could message to notify them that there is a
problematic server, but because Portage tells me nothing about which server
it's using other than the pool URL, I have nothing helpful to tell them.

--
Elijah Mark Anderson
m...@kd0bpv.name