On Wednesday, 4 July 2018 09:55:25 BST Alex Thorne wrote:
> >> I use rsync and get the following for more than a day now;
> >
> > !!! Manifest verification failed:
> > OpenPGP verification failed:
> > gpg: Signature made Wed 04 Jul 2018 04:08:28 AM UTC
> > gpg:                using RSA key E1D6ABB63BFCFB4BA02FDF1CEC590EEAC9189250
> > gpg: Can't check signature: No public key
> >

> > I'm seeing this too. For me `app-crypt/gentoo-keys` is somehow no longer
>
> installed and `/var/lib/gentoo/gkeys` is missing. I have no idea how this
> happened. Perhaps it somehow got into `emerge --depclean` and I didn't
> catch it.
>
> Alex

I use good ol' rsync, because git creates too big a local portage for my disk
space requirements.

I came across the same problem today, after noticing the sync was hanging for
a few minutes at:

>>> Syncing repository 'gentoo' into '/usr/portage'...
 * Using keys from /usr/share/openpgp-keys/gentoo-release.asc
 * Refreshing keys from keyserver ...

I'm guessing it was trying to connect to a key server and failing.  Eventually
it continued, then sync'ed with a mirror and then arrived at the same "no
public key" error.  Having waited for 15 years to arrive at a more secure
method of validating the portage content, the need to sort out the
infrastructure to support this shouldn't hopefully take too long.

Are there any news how/when this problem may be overcome?
--
Regards,
Mick