>> > I'm seeing this too. For me `app-crypt/gentoo-keys` is somehow no longer
>> > installed and `/var/lib/gentoo/gkeys` is missing. I have no idea how this
>> > happened. Perhaps it somehow got into `emerge --depclean` and I didn't
>> > catch it.
>>
>> No. Gentoo maintainers just overlooked that all Gentoo signing keys expired
>> on July 1, and added new openpgp-keys-gentoo into portage tree only on July
>> 2.
>>
>> So, since July 1, rsync cannot verify any new portage tree and cannot
>> download app-crypt/openpgp-keys-gentoo-release-20180702
>>
>> It was discovered in the thread
>> "All Gentoo signing key expired and no way to fix it"
>
> Is there a documented manual workaround we could follow at present,
> irrespective of our sync'ing mechanism of choice?

For me, it somehow worked by manually refreshing the Gentoo signing keys by
executing the following two commands:
# gpg --homedir /var/lib/gentoo/gkeys/keyrings/gentoo/release --refresh-keys
# gpg --keyserver hkps.pool.sks-keyservers.net --recv-keys 0xDB6B8C1F96D8BF6D
in different order and sourcing /etc/profile

But, please, note that I use emerge-webrsync to update the portage tree.